Welcome Message

Feedback is welcome. If you see something that I am missing, you have a suggestion or just want to say hello, please comment.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Blackmar-Diemer Gambit (12), don't ignore threats

Today’s blog entry is from an online turn-based tournament game. White plays the Blackmar-Diemer Gambit. Black is quickly confused, makes some extraneous move and then ignores White’s mate threat.

The variations and move symbols are Houdini’s (1.5 w32), diagnosed with ‘Scid vs PC’ at 10 seconds per ply. The verbal comments are my thoughts during the game and my interpretations of the analysis provided by Houdini. The score chart is at the bottom of this entry.



In this game I am using my new chess thinking process, which is undergoing further refinement. First I examine at my opponent’s move, both the square vacated and the square newly occupied, looking for Opportunities and Threats. If none are found, I next examine my own position looking for Strength’s and Weaknesses. (This is borrowed from the STOW process used in businesses.) After a move is selected, blunder checking is performed prior to completing the move.

 I needed a simplified method that can be adhered to during the heat of battle.  My new method is now also detailed at the bottom of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment