Welcome Message

Feedback is welcome. If you see something that I am missing, you have a suggestion or just want to say hello, please comment.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Blackmar-Diemer Gambit (11), stolen initiative

Today’s blog entry is from Thursday night’s chess club tournament. The Ewue Defence of my Blackmar-Diemer Gambit. On move #7, I played what I thought (btw: Houdini agreed) was the best move, as I did not remember the book lines. Unfortunately, at this level, playing the best move is not good enough: a plan is required. With a gambit, especially a white gambit, it is imperative to get an early lead in development and to keep the initiative. One plan would be Bd3, Qe1-h4 putting pressure on Black’s castled King. Since I didn’t plan, Black finished his development and began trading pieces, aiming for a winning endgame with his pawn advantage.

The variations and move symbols are Houdini’s (1.5 w32), diagnosed with ‘Scid vs PC’ at 10 seconds per ply. The opening book reference is Stockfish. The verbal comments are my thoughts during the game and my interpretations of the analysis provided by Houdini. The score chart is at the bottom of this entry.


This game features a gambit that loses the initiative, allowing the opponent to trade down to a winning endgame with his pawn advantage. My resignation was brought on by the recognition that I could not stop this strategy and his passed d-Pawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment