Welcome Message

Feedback is welcome. If you see something that I am missing, you have a suggestion or just want to say hello, please comment.

Saturday, July 7, 2012

When to Ignore the Clock

This position appeared in one of my online games. After the Knight blocked the defense of my Black Rook, I quickly resigned. In later analysis, I found there was a (somewhat) saving response.

There are two situations in a chess game where the clock no longer has a bearing. The first is when you are offered a draw and are inclined to accept. First examine the position carefully to see if there is a deeply hidden winning path.

The second situation appeared in the game snippet below. White had apparently finished trapping the Knight, leaving Black a piece + 2 Pawns down. Before resignation, always take the time to look for a saving response.


Resignation is always terminal. A chess player’s remorse is a terrible thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment