Welcome Message

Feedback is welcome. If you see something that I am missing, you have a suggestion or just want to say hello, please comment.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Vienna, from superior positions

Today’s game is from a turn-based site. The game is an example of how tactics flow from superior positions.

White opened with the Mengarini variation of the Vienna and I reacted with the tried-and-true Philidor defensive setup, which I have been trying to adopt as a general response to openings outside of my preferred repertoire.

A surprise to me is Houdini’s analysis of my 11th move. I have been trying to apply the ideas from Jeremy Silman’s How to Reassess Your Chess. On my 11th move, I played a move that inhibits most of White’s minor pieces. The analysis with Scid vs PC and Houdini’s engine rated the move 7th best. I respectfully disagree!

No comments:

Post a Comment