Welcome Message

Feedback is welcome. If you see something that I am missing, you have a suggestion or just want to say hello, please comment.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Philidor Defense (12), saved by Kmoch

Today’s game is an online turn-based game in which I use my standard Philidor setup using the initial Pirc move-order against White, who deviates from book early.

This game contains my second-best move ever in chess, thanks to my recent study of Kmoch’s Pawn Power in Chess. This move, 30...b4 sacrifices a pawn to change a losing game into a draw, which I subsequently offered. My opponent didn’t believe it as he attempted to force a win and lost the game trying.

My reviewing goal is to identify my mistakes and determine the steps that are necessary to take to minimize or eliminate those mistakes. I also try to highlight those rare good moves so that my readers can see the progress in my studies. Thus, the notes emphasize my good and bad moves and gloss over those of my opponents.

The variations and move evaluations are Houdini’s (1.5 32-bit), diagnosed with ‘Scid vs PC’ at 15 seconds per ply and a 0.6 error threshold. The verbal comments are my thoughts during the game and my interpretations of the analysis provided by Houdini. The score chart is at the bottom of this entry.



My judging criteria is simple: A book must be worth reading multiple times and what the book teaches must help me win. Kmoch’s Pawn Power in Chess met both criteria early. I have added it to my list of recommended chess books at the bottom of this blog.



Today’s endgame study: This endgame has a surprising sacrifice. A good chess engine will try different defenses on each attempt, so repeat this exercise until winning is consistent.

Take the endgame FEN and paste it into your favorite engine and try to repeat the win. My opponent was Houdini set at full strength.

FEN "8/5k2/5p2/p7/2P1K1P1/8/8/8 w - - 0 1

No comments:

Post a Comment