Welcome Message

Feedback is welcome. If you see something that I am missing, you have a suggestion or just want to say hello, please comment.

Friday, April 13, 2012

Staunton Gambit, trying to trap a Heffalump

Round #1 of our club’s tournament had me paired against a class-A player. He played the Dutch Defense against my d4 opening. I quickly responded with the Staunton Gambit and followed fxe4 with another Pawn sacrifice on f3. With a lead in space and development, the idea was to keep putting pressure on Black until his limited choice of moves created a mistake.

Simon Webb in his Chess for Tigers said “to entice the Heffalump on to swampy ground and hope it falls into a bog and gets sucked underground by the quagmire ... head for a swamp and hope that the Heffalump gets stuck (first)”. Heffalumps are defined as stronger that Tigers.

This is the first Over-the-Board game to test my experiment with Self-Hypnosis. Each threat that Black presented was analyzed carefully and responded to appropriately. When a good move was found, I looked looked for a better one. Each move choice was blunder-checked for errors. After 30 moves, half of the clock remained.

My fatal mistake is move #30, which is/was not obvious to me. I knew that the pieces deep in Black’s territory could become a problem, but did not realize that this was the correct time to withdraw and regroup. The game follows:


P.S. The book is Instant Self-Hypnosis by Forbes Robbins Blair, 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment